I had just manoeuvred into an extremely tight parking space when I took the call – 2 experts had withdrawn from a retail panel debate at Spring Fair International, could I help? … “retail you say”… yes in front of an audience of Independent High Street Retailers… “when?”… in 90 minutes!
80 minutes later, as my details were being added to the graphics, microphones wired and introductions made; I had my opening sentence.
“Retailers need to work harder than they have ever done, to attract customers to their stores whether they are virtual stores or bricks and mortar stores.”
The rest would just have to flow:
- Know your customer.
- Proposition – if you don’t understand what you offer, how will your customers.
- Communicate your values – make an emotional connection.
- Differentiate yourself – quality and service etc are givens.
- Engage with your staff and suppliers as well as your customers.
- Partner with suppliers who want to help develop your business, not just sell you stuff.
- Embrace Social Media – have a clear content strategy and don’t be seduced by clicks.
and flow it did – before we knew it, our time was up and we had to exit (stage left).