Social Media is the new word of mouth, which means you are no longer able to control what is being said about your brand; but you can join the conversation, and use the insights to enhance your brand value.
Every day social media users generate vast amounts of data – 500 million tweets, 4.5 billion Facebook likes, 55 million new Instagram photos, plus the activity on LinkedIn, Youtube, Pinterest, Google+, Blogs and Vlogs.
Ten Tips on embracing Social Media
- Build your awareness of the various types of social media.
- Identify your audience and their social media usage.
- Listen to what’s being said about your brand.
- Decide on the best platforms for your brand story.
- Set the strategic framework for your social media people.
- Work on your content – this is how Google and people find you, and what they share.
- Engage with your audience to develop community.
- Be regular, be relevant and provide value.
- Avoid the temptation of trying to sell.
- And Finally…
Do not ignore the fundamentals of marketing – they have served you well thus far, simply invest in the new skills required to respond to the market changes.