In a world that has been turned upside down we need leadership and purpose.
What is one person’s non-essential is another person’s essential. In this context, try explaining to a small business owner that their business (and for many their livelihood & life purpose) is non-essential. When only essential journeys are allowed, why are non-essential businesses allowed to offer click and collect for non-essential items. Such is the fog and frustration.
Through the months and months of lockdown and tier enforced closures, owners of non-essential businesses have shared with me, their experiences of being closed, of having too much time on their hands, of zero sales, of home schooling and 24/7 relationships.
Here’s the advice gleaned from those conversations, that potentially ALL business owners need to hear or be reminded of, not just those deemed non-essential.
- Spend time on your business – never again will you get so much time away from the day to day of the business to work ON your business, so make it productive.
- Understand your business numbers – walk through the what if’s and the potential impacts on your business, post grants, post furlough and reduced customers.
- Understand your positioning in the sector & locality – who are you and what do you bring?
- Focusing on the threats, could cost you missed opportunities – get your head up and plan for tomorrow.
- Identify the habits & behaviours that have got in the way – work on the those you are going to change, either by doing them less or just stop doing them.
- Spend time with your trusted network – the one thing we all have more of (at the moment) is time, so invest some in the relationships you value.
- Embrace digital – it will improve your business resilience.
- Engage your community – support your physical and digital community where you live, work and play; encourage them, share their posts, and buy from them.
- Love yourself and love what you do – the loss of purpose, relationship, routine, income, and wellbeing have affected people’s self-esteem and confidence. Remind yourself of life before lockdown and plan the positive change you want to be.
- Remember to make money – it pays the bills, pays the wages of others, and gives you business and life choices.
In a world that has been turned upside down we need leadership and purpose – The Value Innovator.